Friday, June 29, 2007

"Flood-tides of Love"

Dear Michael,

I really enjoyed reading the beginning of "Christian Science Practice" with you last night (one of my favorite chapters in Mary Baker Eddy's Science and Health with key to the Scriptures). As we read, I was reminded me of one the most wonderful healings I've ever witnessed. It occurred when I was a senior counselor at Cedars Camps--I think it was the summer that we were there together (when we baked cookies on our day off, and you embarrassed me by singing "I just met a girl named Maria" in the shower). I was in charge of the Bobolink cabin--home to energetic nine-year olds. One Sunday afternoon, a little girl was dropped off by her parents with a long list of things they didn't think she would be able to do--ride horses, play running games, sleep on the top bunk. Casey struggled with asthma, and it seemed like the next two weeks were indeed going to be very trying for her--breathing was difficult and getting her to sleep that first night took time, prayer and lots of hymn singing.

The next morning we went to visit Marjorie at PAL house. (PAL stands for "Practitioner's Are Loving.") Wasn't it wonderful to have a Christian Science practitioner on site to help pray with campers and counselors when needed! Marjorie agreed to pray for Casey and referred me to Science and Health where it says, "The way to extract error from mortal mind is to pour in truth through flood-tides of Love." And, "The tender word and Christian encouragement of an invalid, pitiful patience with his fears and the removal of them, are better than hecatombs of gushing theories, stereotyped borrowed speeches, and the doling of arguments, which are but so many parodies on legitimate Christian Science, aflame with divine Love." (We read this second quote last night.) With her prayers, Marjorie would be pouring in the truth--affirming Casey's unlimited abilities as God's daughter. My job was to help with the "flood-tides of love" and "pitiful patience" with Casey's many many fears.

All the counselors and even Casey's cabin mates helped pour in the love. Her friends so naturally and patiently encouraged her to participate in camp activities. Horseback riding seemed to be Casey's biggest fear. I wondered if we'd ever get her to the corral. She simply refused to even consider getting on a horse. Looking forward to some quiet time alone in the cabin, I asked "What do we do now God?" The idea came to use my period off to go horseback riding with Casey--a shower and nap could wait. Casey agreed to give it a try; and the ride was a turing point in her experience. Nights got easier, and she actively participated in games, dances, and campouts. At the end of the session, Casey rode solo in the horse show, was sleeping soundly on the top bunk, and all traces of asthma were completely gone--washed away by prayer and those sparkling, purifying "flood-tides of Love."

So, dear husband, as we pack this week for our upcoming camp adventures, I want to remember to put "pitiful patience" and "flood-tides of Love" on top of the long underwear, water bottles, and sleeping bags--on top and ready to pull out and put to immediate, moment by moment use. And, this time around, it's OK by me if you sing in the shower.

I love you! Hugs and kisses,
Maria

No comments: