Saturday, June 02, 2007

You made a difference!

Dear Katie,

As I write this you are probably still on the campus green, wearing your white graduation gown, enjoying pastries and punch, visiting with family and friends, and beaming with a smile as big as the Cheshire Cat's. I'm so glad I got to be at your graduation this morning. The speaker talked about how the Class of 2007 will not only make a difference in the future, but has done so already just by the way they've lived their lives. Her comments made me think of you.

Before going to camp last summer as a rookie bunkhouse mom, I spent several months praying about my unknown cabin--rejoicing that God would put each person in their right place. I knew that God would make sure everyone came with everything needed to flourish--not just socks and waterbottles, but the courage, health, joy and other qualities which would help them give, grow, and have fun. I was thinking mostly about the campers, but I now have no doubt that the fruits of my prayers put me in Cabin J with you, Eva and Mary Beth. Over the next two weeks as I listened to you tell bedtime stories to our third-graders about their adventures as princesses, as I joined you in singing our girls to sleep with hymns in four part harmony, and as I laughed so hard I cried while eating M&M's and joking with you and other counselors under the stars, I began to discover parts of myself that I hardly new existed. You helped me realize that I am a fun, somewhat "with it" person. Just by sharing your joyful friendship, you gave me the courage to apply for my current job where I interact with high schoolers on a regular basis--you gave me hope that teenagers would actually accept and maybe even like me.

I've really enjoyed working in the Head of School's office this year. I never thought there could be a job I liked as much as being a camp counselor, but I think I've found one. As you and your 62 classmates walked across the stage today, I knew almost every one of you by name. In one way or another each member of your class has crossed my path this year--some merely as names, but most as friends. I've had so much fun watching your lights shine, encouraging me by your examples to live my own life to the fullest now.

I love how every time I saw you in the hall or school lobby you had a smile for me, the fun way you'd say "Maria" with a Spanish flair, how your kindness let me know that I had a special friend nearby if ever needed. You have a wonderful way of making others feel comfortable, loved and special. We never did make it out for ice cream this year, but I have no doubt our paths will cross again, and then I owe you a hot fudge sundae or two.

Thank you Katie for making a difference in my life. Congratulation on your graduation!

Hugs, best wishes and so much love,
Maria

1 comment:

Kate said...

wonderful...they were a very dear group of seniors...and they will be missed...but so blessed.