Saturday, June 16, 2007

Papa's Love

Dear Papa,

I used to tease Michael that you kissed me before he did, but that’s really no fault of his. My then Victorian heart was determined not to kiss a boyfriend unless I considered him a serious prospect for marriage. So, your peck on the cheek came long before I allowed my first kiss from Michael (fortunately he's a very patient guy!).

Your welcoming hugs and kisses are just one example of your outreaching love—a love that was willing to be Santa for Rotary events (in spite of the fact that it must have taken 2 or 3 pillows to make your toothpick frame even begin to resemble the roly-poly Kris Kringle), a love that volunteered your pick-up truck to help deliver donations of canned goods to the neighborhood food pantry, a love that also regularly would visit and read to people at a nursing facility.

You and Mom made me feel like a welcome member of the clan even before Michael and I were married. Thank you both for also befriending my parents, for not just including them in family events out of politeness, but genuine care. A special thanks for helping host their 25th wedding anniversary party at your home years ago. It’s hard to believe that Michael and I will be celebrating 23 and a half years of marriage tomorrow, but look at you two. You’re going on number 53! What a great example for us all!

Papa, you also have wonderfully modeled a balanced lifestyle. Time with your family has always been part of your definition of success. All three of your sons are great dads. (I knew Mike would be; it’s one of the reasons I married him.) You also shared with your boys your love of God. Church and prayer have remained an important part of their lives. Like you, they are hard-working men, independent thinkers, desiring to serve and bless, and understanding the importance of home as the center of the affections.

I know things haven’t been easy for you the past six years. After a very active life, which even included running marathons for a while, I can’t image what it must be like to depend upon a wheel chair to get around and to be limited in your speech. While I know there are days when both you and Mom get frustrated, on the whole you two have expressed so much courage, joy and faith. I’ve heard so many people compliment your good spirits. Just as you were a strong support to Mom when she faced a difficult physical challenge years ago, she has so selflessly stood by your side--both of you faithfully fulfilling your promise to love “in sickness and in health.” Your individual and joint expressions of grace are awesome.

If my own mom and dad were here today, I know they would join me in thanking you for cherishing (truly grand parenting) our family. Your heart clearly pours out love. I continue to celebrate your standing up in church recently and testifying to God’s presence in your life. Even if only a few of the words were distinguishable, everyone heard your heart. You ARE an amazing man.

Happy Father’s Day Papa!

With gratitude and love,
Your daughter-in-law Maria

No comments: