Sunday, July 29, 2007

Cherishing Spiritual Healing

Dear Friend,

I have learned so many spiritual lessons at camp this summer, and there’s still a week to go! Last session I made a trip to Grand Junction to visit my cousin and his wife. We had some wonderful discussions about spirituality and relationships. I was reminded how important it is to get “I want” out of my vocabulary and instead to trust what God wants. He knows what we truly need both individually and collectively.

Sometimes my “I wants” seem pretty reasonable. Recently I really wanted a good night sleep. The next day’s activities called for early rising and mental alertness. However, I was awakened in the night by a camper needing help. I confess that my first thought was, “Oh no.” Fortunately my best and true self came through, and I was quickly up providing needed physical and spiritual comfort. I remembered that “Giving does not impoverish us…” (from Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures). The camper soon settled down and went back to sleep, but I stayed awake for a while longer praying.

The other day I mentioned to you that the thought of perhaps some day making myself available to pray for others was kind of scary. Well, I had volunteered to pray for the camper; so now I had to face this fear. The Bible says, “perfect love casteth out fear.” It occurred to me that I needed to love the healing practice of Christian Science with all my heart. I began by being grateful for all the healings I’ve had, for the Christian Science practitioners who have on so many occasions prayed for me and my family—sometimes in the middle of the night or while they were on family vacations. I thought of the Christ communicating exactly the healing ideas needed to practitioners and patients everywhere 24/7. I loved the courage and expectancy of good expressed by those seeking spiritual healing and the joy and confidence with which Christian Science practitioners welcome every call. I fell asleep rejoicing in the ever-presence of the divine Love that heals. I awoke the next morning refreshed; the camper awakened well.

I hope that I never again let myself be afraid of being called to the Christian Science practice. There simply can’t be anything scary about something so God-governed. Being a practitioner may not be what God has planned for me (I’m going to try not to outline what I do or don’t “want” in this regard), yet regardless of my vocation, I intend to do a better job of cherishing spiritual healing in support of all those seeking and providing it. This deeper, more intimate love of the Christian Science practice may be one of the most important things I take home from camp this year.

Thanks for the thoughts about the practice that you’ve shared with me recently. I’m looking forward to hearing more about your summer activities and inspirations!

With love,
Maria

Postscripts: After finishing this letter, I remembered that in Miscellaneous Writings, Mary Baker Eddy says, “In different ages the divine idea assumes different forms, according to humanity's needs. In this age it assumes, more intelligently than ever before, the form of Christian healing. This is the babe we are to cherish. This is the babe that twines its loving arms about the neck of omnipotence, and calls forth infinite care from His loving heart.”

No comments: