Sunday, July 22, 2007

Camp's "Magic"

Dear Michael,

I have been thinking more about what makes summers at the Adventure Unlimited Ranches seem so magical, why no one leaves camp the same person as when he or she came. I was recently reading "Miscellaneous Writings" (by Mary Baker Eddy) and got my first clue: "...let us say of the beauties of the sensuous universe, 'I love your promise;' and shall know, some time, the spiritual reality and substance of form, light, and color, of what I now through you discern dimly; and knowing this, I shall
be satisfied." That promise is so evident, so inescapable here in the mountains. The surrounding beauty sings of God's presence and like a catchy tune keeps echoing in thought throughout the day.

And at A/U, as at all the Christian Science camps, inspiration is "in." There is an irresitable, refreshing expectation of spiritual growth. I found my second clue in "Science and Health" (also by Eddy), "...expectation speeds our progress."

I also know that the staff here at camp, the parents of campers, as well as the campers themselves are actively praying for camp--for our individual and collective experiences. I've been waking up between 4 and 5 in the morning to find my consciousness so filled with such clear purposeful prayers--prayers that join the mountains in celebrating God's allness. For a night owl, who normally just doesn't function before 7, these now eagerly welcomed sunrise moments are in themselves miracles.

I can’t wait to have you join me next session as a bunkhouse parent. In thinking about our time together, a line from a Mary Baker Eddy's poem "Love" came to thought, “like brother birds that soar and sing and on the same branch bend…” God is supplying the thermals. The camp songs are abundant. There’s “magic” in the air. I know you and Lincoln will love A/U!

See you soon! With hugs and kisses eager to be delivered in person,

Your Maria

No comments: